The village of Castro de Filabres is situated on the southern slope of the Sierra de Filabres, facing south, in a rustic and semi-arid landscape in which the almond tree dominates.
The name Castro is a place-name of Latin origin which means "encampment".
It appears that at the beginning of the 8th century, with the Moorish invasion, a group of Berbers, called yarawá, settled in the area.
Before the War of the Alpujarras (1568-1570), the population was mainly Moorish.
During the uprising, more than 800 Moors from the area of the Filabres participated in the fighting.